Since the founding of Zeitz MOCAA, and its much-celebrated opening in September 2017 as an independent, non-profit organization, the institution has established a robust program and agenda to make a significant contribution to the development of contemporary art in Africa and its diaspora. As a nascent institution, the ambition signified by the architecture and scale of our building have continued unabated in its various contexts, both locally and internationally.
The Zeitz MOCAA Global Council was founded to bring together like-minded individuals interested in expanding views of art from Africa and its diaspora, enhancing the museum’s ambitions and presence internationally.
THE GLOBAL COUNCIL IS …
An international group of experienced art philanthropists including collectors, artists, curators and related professionals who participate in the growth of Zeitz MOCAA, and who are dedicated to the study and showcasing of the artistic and intellectual excellence from Africa and its diaspora.
The Global Council support the museum’s vision to produce and present cutting-edge contemporary exhibitions and art historical knowledge, enhance the careers of Africa’s most talented artists in the 21st century and beyond, strengthen its education programs and ensuring access for all.
PLACES REPRESENTED …
Places represented by the group include:
Acha Leke: Johannesburg, Nigeria, Cameroon
Bame Pule: SA, Botswana
Carsten Höller: Germany, Sweden, Ghana
Hanneli Rupert: SA
Joanna Masiyiwa: UK and SA
Julie Mehretu: US and Ethiopia
Liese van der Watt: SA and UK
Michael Silver: US and SA
Michèle Sandoz: Zimbabwe and Switzerland
Oscar Murillo: Colombia and UK
Pulane Tshabalala Kingston: SA
Samallie Kiyingi: Uganda, Egypt, Australia
Wangechi Mutu: Kenya and US
Yinka Shonibare: UK and Nigeria
Adam Sheffer: US
FOUNDING GLOBAL COUNCIL MEMBERS
2023 GLOBAL COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Global Council enjoy a dedicated year-round program of VIP events and privileges, plus behind-the-scenes access. Council members also enjoy the connection to a diverse network of like-minded, dynamic global players and key figures in shaping and informing culture in Africa, united by a common interest in this transformational platform for Africa’s creativity.
The Global Council have access to:
• Special behind-the-scenes previews and after-hour tours of all Zeitz MOCAA exhibitions.
• Intimate tours of Africa’s most celebrated contemporary art collections and artists’ studios, including curated dinners and events at Zeitz MOCAA and major collectors’ private
• Engagement with Africa’s leading artists, collectors, curators, academics and international figures invested in shaping the artistic and intellectual landscape on the continent.
• Artist-led tours of exhibitions, offering unique artist context and perspective.
• Join senior curatorial staff on visits to important African venues and International Patrons’ Travel to must-see African and international museums and galleries.
• Priority access and VIP passes to major international and leading African art events.
• Invitations and first-priority to all Zeitz MOCAA lectures, talks, screenings, educational workshops and live performances.
• Priority bookings and discounts on renting the state-of-the-art atrium and rooftop at Zeitz MOCAA for private events.
• Members discount at the Zeitz MOCAA store.
• Enjoying the Zeitz MOCAA growing partnership network with other museums, galleries and art fairs.
• Recognition as a member of The Global Council of Zeitz MOCAA.
• Act as an ambassador of Zeitz MOCAA globally to raise the organisation’s profile through advocacy and communication.
• Expand the network of the Global Council by identifying and convincing appropriate prospective members to join the programme.
• Attend Global Council events (where possible) approximately 2-3 events a year.
• Champion the vision and mission of Zeitz MOCAA.
Zeitz MOCAA Insitutional Advancement
Zeitz MOCAA is a registered Public Benefit Organisation.