Two positions available at Zeitz MOCAA:
- Wendy Fisher Assistant Curator of Digital Platforms
- Torben Wind Assistant Curator of Digital Platforms
Job Title(s):Â Wendy Fisher Assistant Curator of Digital Platforms and Torben Wind Assistant Curator of Digital Platforms.
Duration:Â 12 Months.
Reporting to:Â Afrisam Curator of Digital Platforms, Zeitz MOCAA.
Start date:Â Immediate.
Salary:Â R 92,700 per annum or R 7,725 per month (Cost to company with all deductions, including Payas You Earn, Unemployment Insurance Fund Contributions, health insurance, and any other government mandated deductions, withheld from this amount).
As the Wendy Fisher Assistant Curator of Digital Platforms and the Torben Wind Assistant Curator of Digital Platforms, the selected candidates will assist the AfriSam Curator of Digital Platforms in distributing the AfriSam Audio Tours. Candidates will assist with managing the Audio Tours desk and assist with the distribution of the Audio Tour devices.
AfriSam Audio Tours narrate a story of contemporary art and architecture from Africa and has been generously sponsored by AfriSam The self-guided audio tours will unveil unique stories about the museum’s collection and architecture. The tour will feature diverse commentaries from leading artists, curators, architects, designers and visionaries to enrich visitor’s experience and gives a holistic narrative of the architecture and artwork at Zeitz MOCAA. Visitors will have the opportunity to select from three different journeys targeted at adults, children and those interested in the museum’s architecture. Each tour will highlight objects in the museum’s collections or aspects of the museum building, providing cultural, environmental and social contextualization through hand-held audio devices. The creation of Zeitz MOCAA’s AfriSam Audio Tour requires two Assistant Curators to be stationed at the Pick-up and Drop-off desk.
Purpose of the job:
To assist the AfriSam Curator of Digital Platforms in managing the distribution of the audio tours. To record and manage visitor engagement at the AfriSam Audio Tour pick-up and drop-off desk.
- Assist the AfriSam Curator of Digital Platforms in implementing the AfriSam Audio Tour.
- Manage the distribution of audio tour devices at the Audio tour pick-up and drop-off desk.
- Manage AfriSam Audio Tour pick-up and drop-off desk.
- Manage visitor engagement, complaints and feedback about the AfriSam Audio Tours.
- Assist public in using and understanding the AfriSam Audio Tour devices and content.
- Work together with all staff members to ensure the smooth running of the museum.
- Complete other tasks as necessary.
This role focuses on public engagement and distribution of audio tour devices. The selected Assistant Curators will be required to work successfully with a diverse public and be able to liaise feedback to the AfriSam Curator of Digital Platforms, to ensure the smooth and successful AfriSam Audio Tour experience. Candidates are required to have excellent communication skills, with a focused and professional disposition and a commitment to contemporary culture from Africa and its Diaspora.
Required experience and skills:
- Completion of a high school qualification.
- Strong administration and coordination skills, with a methodical approach and attention to detail.
- Ability to work and liaise with public independently.
- Effective problem-solving skills.
- Articulate and friendly disposition.
- Preference given to candidates with multilingual skills.
- Preference given to candidates with customer experience
- Ability to patiently and efficiently engage with a diverse and multilingual public.
- A love for art and a desire to learn more about art history.
- Experience working within a cultural context.
As a cutting-edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms including gender, race, creed, and orientation. To apply, please email a letter of motivation, CV, two references and two writing examples focusing on culture with the subject line: “Assistant Curator of Digital Platforms Applicationâ€ to Gontse Mathabathe onÂ email@example.com byÂ 10 November 2017.
About Zeitz MOCAA
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit contemporary art museum which collects, preserves, researches, and exhibits twenty-first-century art from Africa and its Diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and guarantees access for all. Over one hundred galleries, spread over nine floors, are dedicated to a large cutting edge permanent collection; temporary exhibitions; and Centres for Art Education, Curatorial Excellence, Performative Practice, Photography, the Moving Image, and the Costume Institute.