Position available at Zeitz MOCAA
Job Title: Museum Educator – Schools, Youth and Family Programmes
Department: Centre for Art Education
Reporting to: Head of Art Education
Duration: Full-time with a 3-month probation period
Start date: As soon as possible
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit contemporary art museum which collects, preserves, researches, and exhibits twenty-first-century art from Africa and its Diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and guarantees access for all. Over one hundred galleries, spread over nine floors, are dedicated to a large cutting edge permanent collection; temporary exhibitions; and Centres for Art Education, Curatorial Excellence, Performative Practice, Photography, the Moving Image, and the Costume Institute.
- The ability to write and design Learning and Teaching Support Material for school learners.
- The ability to write and design educational worksheets and to develop interactive activities in the museum space for youth and families.
- To conduct tours for a variety of groups through the Zeitz MOCAA collection and exhibitions.
- The ability to liaise and forge professional relationships with schools in the development of educational programmes for the museum.
- Strong administrative and organisational skills.
- To be a co-operative people’s person willing to work in a team.
- Confidence in addressing and working with diverse groups in an educational setting.
- Computer Literacy in Word processing, Excel and PowerPoint.
In addition to the above additional responsibilities will include:
- Active participation in the strategic planning of museum education programmes, projects, exhibitions and events of the Zeitz MOCAA Art Education Centre.
- Experience in teaching and working with children of all ages, adults and teachers in the Visual Arts.
- Experience in working in Museum Education and developing educational programmes for Primary and High school and youth and family groups is a strong recommendation.
- Experience in working with learners or adults with Special Educational Needs is a strong recommendation.
- Experience in working with and knowledge of the National Curriculum Statement of South Africa (NCS) and the CAPS Curriculum in Visual Art and Design at GET and/or FET level.
- A minimum of 5 years teaching experience in arts educational organisations, schools or institutions with a focus on the visual arts.
- A teacher’s qualification.
- SACE (South African Council of Educators) registration is recommended.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or diploma in the Visual Arts or equivalent.
Additional requirements for the position
A willingness to work in underprivileged communities outside of the museum context.
Willingness to be a hands-on participant in all community development projects and programmes.
A driver’s licence is recommended.
As a cutting-edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms including gender, race, creed, and orientation. Zeitz MOCAA is committed to Employment Equity and particularly welcomes applications suitably qualified Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDIs) for this position.
To apply please send the below requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date, 5 October 2018.
- Undergraduate Qualification in Visual Arts or Design
- Academic transcripts (optional)
- Teachers Qualification
- SACE registration (if South African)
- 3 referees