Museum Educator – Community Collaborative Programmes
Position available at Zeitz MOCAA
Job Title: Museum Educator – Community Collaborative Programmes
Department: Centre for Art Education
Reporting to: Head of Art Education
Duration: Full time with a 3-month probation period
Start date: As soon as possible
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit contemporary art museum which collects, preserves, researches, and exhibits twenty-first-century art from Africa and its Diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and guarantees access for all. Over one hundred galleries, spread over nine floors, are dedicated to a large cutting edge permanent collection; temporary exhibitions; and Centres for Art Education, Curatorial Excellence, Performative Practice, Photography, the Moving Image, and the Costume Institute.
- To develop and implement meaningful and relevant community development arts educational programmes that reflects the broader vision of the Zeitz MOCAA within the diverse communities in Cape Town.
- To develop new and diverse audiences for the museum through community development projects.
- To create opportunities for access to the Zeitz MOCAA collection and exhibitions for participants in the collaborative projects.
- To record and present the outcomes of the community development projects.
- To actively participate in the planning of the programmes, projects, exhibitions and events of the Zeitz MOCAA Art Education Centre.
- To conduct tours of the Zeitz MOCAA collections when and if necessary.
Experience and Skills
- Experience in planning, facilitating, and administrating arts educational community-based projects.
- The ability to liaise and forge professional working relationships with community organisations and schools in the implementation of community-based programmes for youth, teachers and adults..
- Experience in in-service training of teachers in the Visual Arts is a strong recommendation
- The ability to write and design Learning and Teaching Support Material for teachers.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- To be a co-operative people’s person willing to work in a team.
- Computer Literacy in Word processing, Excel and PowerPoint.
- A minimum of 5 years teaching experience in arts educational formal or non-formal organisations or institutions with a focus on the visual arts, craft or design.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or diploma in the Visual Arts or equivalent.
- A teacher’s qualification.
Additional requirements for the position
- A willingness to work in underprivileged communities outside of the museum context.
- Willingness to be a hands-on participant in all community development projects and programmes.
- A driver’s licence is recommended.
As a cutting-edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms including gender, race, creed, and orientation. Zeitz MOCAA is committed to Employment Equity and particularly welcomes applications suitably qualified Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDIs) for this position.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date, 5 October 2018.