Job Title: Facilities Manager
Reporting to: Director of Operations
Duration: Full Time with 3 months’ probation period
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit museum dedicated to contemporary art from Africa and its Diaspora. It consists of nine floors and 80 different galleries, 9,500 m2of programmable space, of which 6,500 m2is dedicated to white cube exhibition space, all housed in a unique re-imagining of what were once grain silos at Cape Town’s V&A Waterfront.
Purpose of the Job
Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Facilities Manager is responsible for the planning, coordinating and managing off all planned and reactive maintenance, day-to-day services, large-scale housekeeping and security operations within the Zeitz MOCAA. The individual will direct, supervise and manage all in-house staff as well as outsourced contractor/s following its own OEM specified maintenance schedules ensuring that works are completed, quality standards adhered to and schedules met to the extent that visitors of the Zeitz MOCAA are minimally inconvenienced. This will include but not be limited to building fabric, internal infrastructure, CCTV, access control, plumbing, electrical reticulation, air conditioning, lifts and so forth. In addition, the individual will also assist with various administrative and management functions.
Key Performance Areas
Safety, Health and Environment
- Implement the legal appointments, constitute and convene the health and safety structures and ensure training as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993.
- Assist the Director of Operations with discharging his duty as 16.1 and/or 16.2 as per the Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993.
- Direct and manage the Disaster Recovery and Evacuation Plan ensuring compliance with the fire rationale and carrying out regular fire drills with continuous feedback to improving and augmenting the Disaster Recovery and Evacuation Plan.
- Identify, recommend and participate in health and safety training sessions and seminars with the goal of reducing hazardous conditions and unsafe practices wherever possible.
- Maintain functional awareness of typical and/or special hazards that may be encountered at the Zeitz MOCAA, implementing and following the established procedures for dealing with such potential hazards.
- Direct and coordinate the response to emergencies with or without full evacuation.
- Maintain an incident log and/or register promptly recording and reporting accidents or incidents where applicable in-house staff and/or contractors and following up where visitors have been involved.
Planned and Reactive Maintenance
- Establish a planned maintenance programme and/or schedule utilising OEM operating and maintenance manuals as an initial basis evolving over time into best practice.
- Inspect facilities to determine the need for ad hoc repairs and leading to trends towards optimising long-term maintenance programs with a view to minimising future maintenance expenses.
- Prepare, monitor and follow up that service schedules adhere to contractors.
- Co-ordinate and arrange all access, permits with contractors and in-house staff, V&A W traffic, Silo Hotel liaison and/or health and safety departments.
- Maintain an inventory of materials, tools and equipment appropriate to support in-house services and operations.
Inspections and Audits
- Inspect all repairs, fixes and maintenance to building fabric and/or infrastructure, recalling and redoing works not completed to established practices and/or standards.
- Carry out regular condition audits of building fabric and infrastructure.
- Assess, determine and undertake steps to prevent catastrophic failure of building fabric and infrastructure.
- Ensure that safe working practices are observed, and safety regulations are adhered to at all times.
- Review and evaluate all future works recommended by the architect, consultants and/or V&A W Development, all change order requests, and recommend action to be taken to the Director of Operations.
- Review and approve all future works final “as built” drawings.
- Receive all warranties and update all mechanical and electrical systems information, including operation and maintenance manuals as well as planned maintenance programme and/or schedules.
- Provide effective coordination, support, and promotion of interactions with in-house staff and new works contractors and professional team/s.
Resource Management (Budget, Finance and Procurement)
- Direct the work of those supervised and coordinate the interaction of their work with other functions within the Zeitz MOCAA and with the occupants of areas, affected by work being performed to ensure a posture of professionalism and service orientation.
- Ensure maintenance spend allocated does not exceed available budget.
Results / Outcomes
- Daily maintenance faults are cleared, and repairs accomplished efficiently, within budget and established time frames.
- Repairs, fixes, alterations or refurbishments are carried out to the required and satisfactory standards and established trade practices and specifications.
- Administrative records are updated.
- Reports are acted upon and all service work is checked and verified.
- Future repairs are anticipated, planned and scheduled; and trends are defined, and possible future damage/s are mitigated.
- Maintenance needs are determined and assessed for future implementation.
- Compliance with Occupational Health and Safety Act, internal SHE policies and standards.
- Overall planned (and preventative) maintenance strategy is realised.
- A relevant diploma in the Engineering or Built Environment Field (NQF Level 6) with appropriate experience OR
- Artisan with minimum NTC3 (NQF Level 4/3) AND
- successful completion of an appropriate apprenticeship and passing of a recognised industry trade test.
- If at NQF Level 6, then a total of 8 (seven) years appropriate experience, after graduation, of which at least 5 (five) was at operational level and 3 (three) years was at supervisory or management level OR
- If at NQF Level 4/3, then a total of 10 (ten) years appropriate experience, after successful completion of a trade test, of which 7 (seven) was at operational level and 3 (three) years was at supervisory level or management level.
- Code EB Driver’s License
- Ability to maintain an acceptable attendance record and punctuality.
- Medically fit experiencing no difficulty with walking, hearing, eyesight, climbing steps or entering confined spaces with no fear of heights.
Skills and/or Competencies
- Substantial knowledge of maintenance and repair procedures including preventive maintenance, breakdown repair and troubleshooting.
- Substantial knowledge of construction, installation and fabrication techniques, including planning and estimating jobs.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally, in writing and electronically.
- Ability to work effectively in a service-oriented environment subject to frequently changing priorities.
- Ability to relate to formal and informal organisational and functional structures within the Zeitz MOCAA, Silo Hotel and V&A W.
As a cutting-edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms including gender, race, creed, and orientation. Zeitz MOCAA is committed to Employment Equity and particularly welcomes applications from suitably qualified Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDIs) for this position.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date, 18 January 2019.