Job Title: Curatorial Coordinator
Reporting to: Senior/Curator
Duration: Full-time with 3 months’ probation
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit contemporary art museum which collects, preserves, researches, and exhibits twenty-first-century art from Africa and its Diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and guarantees access for all.
Purpose of the Job
Reporting to the Senior/Curator, this position is responsible for a broad range of activities related to the research, administration, coordination and care of the Zeitz MOCAA permanent and temporary art collection. The Curatorial Coordinator provides essential support to the Curator and the curatorial department. This role will suit an individual pursuing a career as a curatorial assistant and is eager to expand their practical experience.
- Under supervision and direction of the Senior/Curator and in collaboration with the Curatorial staff, work on upcoming collection displays, commissions, and exhibitions and other administrative related activities
- Assisting with galleries exhibition program administration
- Assisting the Curatorial office with the coordination of exhibitions and with the production of artworks
- Preparation for visiting museum groups and curators, including planning itineraries, research, logistics, production, setup, and visits
- Give tours on all exhibitions to the public through various programs
- Support with the completion of research, and writing on exhibition history, publication history, etc., of all works in the Zeitz MOCAA collection
- Support in conducting tours on the permanent and temporary collection
- Respond to questions about the permanent and temporary collection from museum staff and the public
- Continually add or edit labels on permanent collection for our visitors
- Work with other departments such as; Collections Management and Exhibitions, Communications, Institutional Advancement regarding our collection
- Support with administration related to commercial galleries and artists
- Compiling art portfolio documents and updating of information where required
- Provide administrative and research support under the supervision of the Assistant Curators, including:
o Research as assigned, as exhibitions are developed
o Maintain all checklists for all exhibitions on the Curatorial Drive, making sure all information is accurate and formatted correctly.
o Provide support during the production of exhibition catalogues, including:
o Liaise with guest curators to be sure they stay on schedule
- Write label and text panel copy for exhibition installation
- Represent the Zeitz MOCAA at all exhibition openings and related events
- Support with the Identification of potential artists for exhibitions
- Write all didactic material related to the exhibition
- Manage and attend the opening of each exhibition
- Support by Liaising with education, development and accounting departments on behalf of the curatorial department regarding exhibitions and collections
- Other duties as assigned by the Curator and he Assistant Curators
- Support curatorial research for publications related
- Assist with gathering information and support with writing, transcribing and editing materials for use in publications
This position requires a talented Curatorial Coordinator skilled in collaboration across departments and able to execute the development and growth of the permanent and temporary collection and exhibition schedules that engages a diverse community and advances artistic/cultural discourse. Ability to plan, organize, and work with a variety of projects simultaneously is essential. The individual must bring, high standard of work, good work ethic, deadline driven, with good team engagement and working, oral and written communication skills.
Required experience and skills
- Degree or Masters degree is preferable, in Art History, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience progressively responsible curatorial and museum experience.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about contemporary culture from Africa and its Diaspora.
- Should possess research skills, including, but not limited to, primary and secondary research on art and artists, historical exhibitions and events, and /or key figures
- Knowledge of computer databases and MS Office software required
- Willing to work after hours and possibly weekends if required
- Some knowledge of art history.
- Professional demeanour and diplomatic skills
- Strong administrative skills
- Bilingual, fluent in French business verbal and written
As a cutting-edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms including gender, race, creed, and orientation. Zeitz MOCAA is committed to Employment Equity and particularly welcomes applications from suitably qualified Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDIs) for this position.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date, 15 July 2019.