Position available at Zeitz MOCAA
Job Title: Communications and Marketing Manager
Department: Institutional Advancement
Reporting to: Head of Communications and Marketing
Duration: Full time with a 3-month probation period
Start date: As soon as possible
Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (Zeitz MOCAA) is a public not-for-profit contemporary art museum which collects, preserves, researches, and exhibits twenty-first-century art from Africa and its Diaspora; hosts international exhibitions; develops supporting educational and enrichment programmes; encourages intercultural understanding; and guarantees access for all. Over one hundred galleries, spread over nine floors, are dedicated to a large cutting edge permanent collection; temporary exhibitions; and Centres for Art Education, Curatorial Excellence, Performative Practice, Photography, the Moving Image, and the Costume Institute.
The role of the Communications and Marketing Manager is to deliver against all elements of the communications and marketing programme.
This includes PR and media relations, development of marketing collateral and the implementation of marketing campaigns, working with external agencies, developing and editing publications and the rollout of digital channels, including social media and newsletters.
- PR and media relations: oversee day-to-day operations of communications department, including conceptualisation and coordination of press previews; management of all media requests, pitches and relations; implementation of press release schedule; tracking and reporting press coverage; coordination of visual assets; identification and development of story angles, preparation of press materials, and liaison with museum’s curatorial, membership, events, educational and other teams for website and social media content.
- Writing and editing: draft all media releases and other communications; draft and edit publications; draft and edit collateral – e.g. brochures, newsletters etc.
- Marketing: liaison with V&A Waterfront and other partners to support and build their marketing programmes; develop marketing collateral (e.g. adverts, promotional banners etc); work with events teams to conceptualise and implement events and activations; work with membership team to communicate to members and patrons.
- Supplier management: arrange photography for events and programmes; management of supplier, such as printers.
- Digital channels: oversight of digital channels (managed by Content and Community Coordinator), including website, social media channels and newsletter.
- Represent the department at internal and external meetings in lieu of the Head of Communications and Marketing as requested. Liaise with other museum departments.
- Assist with media relations in crisis situations.
- And other duties as assigned.
Skills and Behavioural Requirements:
- Well-developed and proven verbal/written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent public speaking ability and good speech writing skills.
- Ability to effectively multitask and coordinate a high level of activity under a variety of conditions and constraints and completion within deadlines.
- Exceptional organizational, project management and time management skills.
- Ability to remain calm, collected and professional in a crisis.
- Excellent diplomacy and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships (internal/external).
- Strong computer skills with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Works well independently and in team settings.
- High-level initiative with the ability to self-motivate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or other relevant disciplines, marketing or related field (PR/Journalism/Political Science).
- 5+ years of relevant marketing experience/ corporate and consumer marketing communications experience
- Strong working knowledge of marketing communication practices.
As a cutting-edge equal opportunity institution, Zeitz MOCAA celebrates diversity in all its forms including gender, race, creed, and orientation. Zeitz MOCAA is committed to Employment Equity and particularly welcomes applications suitably qualified Historically Disadvantaged Individuals (HDIs) for this position.
To apply please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.Â Closing Date for applications: 05 October 2018